terça-feira, 26 de janeiro de 2010

Biography of Ysaye Barnwell


  • She is a prolific composer, who composes many of the group's contemporary songs, and has been commissioned to create music for dance, choral, film, and stage productions.

  • She conducts music workshops around the United States, Canada and Australia, including a workshop she created called "Building a Vocal Community: Singing in the African American Tradition".

  • In 1977, she founded the Jubilee Singers, a choir at All Souls Church, Unitarian in Washington, DC.
  • Barnwell earned bachelor's and master's degrees (1967 and 1968) in speech pathology from State University of New York at Geneseo, and a Ph.D. (1975) in cranio-facial studies from the University of Pittsburgh. In 1981, she also earned a post-doctoral MSPH degree, in Public Health from Howard University.

  • Barnwell produced Sweet Honey in the Rock's 1998 25th anniversary album, ...Twenty-Five..., and edited Continuum: The First Songbook of Sweet Honey in the Rock.

  • Barnwell's acting credits include a principal role on a television series called "A Man Called Hawk" and also appeared in the 1998 film Beloved, which starred Oprah Winfrey and Danny Glover.

  • Barnwell released a solo musical album, Um Humm, in 2000.

  • Barnwell has also written a children's book with CD, No Mirrors In My Nana's House. A second children's book and CD set was released in March, 2008: We Are One.

  • Barnwell was named after the great Belgian violinist, Eugène Ysaÿe.
This text is from: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ysaye_Maria_Barnwel"

3 comentários:

  1. Hi Claudia:)
    My name is Mckenzi I live in Utah (USA) and have loved reading you and your friends blogs. You have a beautiful blog I love learning about cultures so it has been fun to read about you! You have just made an American friend! I look forward to keep up with your blog

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi Claudia:)
    My name is Mckenzi I live in Utah (USA) and have loved reading you and your friends blogs. You have a beautiful blog I love learning about cultures so it has been fun to read about you! You have just made an American friend!:) I look forward to keep up with your blog

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hi Claudia:)
    Are you kidding your english is amazing! Great job, you can practice on me all you want. I am studying spanish so I understand how nice it is to practice! And don't worry about posting other cultures I just love to read about what you are up to!! So fun you seem like such an awesome girl

    ResponderEliminar